“Patent drafting Services” can refer to either to the whole process of putting together a patent application, or more narrowly, “drafting” is also a term used for creating drawings, as in illustrators are also called “draftsmen.” Our focus here is on the drawings because that’s our specialty.
Patent drawings are required with almost all patent applications. Having top quality, professionally prepared drawings will help you both with getting the application approved by the patent office in the first place, and in defending your intellectual property rights in the event someone infringed your patents in the future.
Precise Patent Drafting Services Improves the Quality of Your Patents
In some cases, it may be possible to prepare your own patent drawings, but using an experienced patent drafting service will more than pay for itself in terms of the benefits to the application process and the strength of the patent.
As described in detail in our post “Complying with Patent Drawing Rules,” the US Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) has very specific rules for the drawings that accompany patent applications. The rules cover everything from the size of the paper and the margins to the type of ink, numbering, legends, and much more. Experienced patent illustrators are familiar with these requirements and will make sure that all drawings are in full compliance.
As we described in our blog post “Don’t Make an Unintended Claim in a Design Patent Drawing,” failing to follow the proper USPTO conventions in drawings, especially for design patents, can change exactly what is being claimed by the patent. In that post we describe how a company lost a court battle to protect its patent because it didn’t show shading correctly in one of the patent drawings.
Patent Drafting (Drawing) Process
The USPTO states on it’s website: “A patent application is required to contain drawings if drawings are necessary to understand the subject matter to be patented.” The first step is for the inventor and the patent attorney to consult about what drawings are needed to explain the invention. Attention to detail is always important, but it’s especially important in design patents, where the drawing itself is the claim of the patent.
Once you know what you want, this is the process:
- You send us an email describing the drawing(s) with any supporting files.
- We’ll get a price quote back to you, typically within 24 hours. See our pricing page for more information.
- Once we get a go-ahead for the project, we’ll request any additional information or clarifications we may need.
- The project is assigned to one of our trained draftsman.
- The drawing(s) go through our internal quality control procedure.
- Drawings are typically delivered to you within 3-4 days of the time we receive the go ahead and details.
- Normally no iterations of a drawing are required, but if they are we will do as many iterations as needed until you’re happy with the drawing(s).
Why Choose Invention Patent Drawings?
There are several reasons to choose us to be your “go-to” source for patent drawings:
- Emphasis on quality. We know how important drawings are to successful patent applications. When you succeed, we succeed.
- Deep experience. Our team has prepared over 5,000 patent drawings and illustrations, mostly for the USPTO and PCT. Our team lead and QA head have over 14 years of experience in patent drawings.
- Excellent value. We provide top quality at affordable prices.
If you have a project you’d like to discuss, or if you have any questions about the patent drawing process, please contact us. We look forward to hearing from you!